‘Tis the season for New Year’s Resolutions!
“New Year, New You” is a phrase that’s often heard around this time, as many of us are trying to make positive changes in our lives to make the new year better than the last. One thing you can do, to positively impact a lot in your life, is organize your apartment! We know it can be difficult to find the motivation to sort through things and straighten up, but trust us, you’ll feel better if you leave the clutter in 2019! Below are some great tips for organizing your apartment room-by-room!
Save Space and Clear Clutter in the Bathroom with Storage Containers and Caddies.
If you have lots of products crammed onto a small shower ledge or lining the edge of your tub, try a hanging shower caddy. It will eliminate the clutter and the frustration that comes from inevitably knocking something over every time you shower. Similarly, over-the-cabinet containers or baskets can help you save both counter and cabinet space! But, loading lots of products into tons of storage containers won’t help much, so make sure you’re only storing what you really need. If you’ve been hanging onto anything that’s expired or broken, now is the time to let it go!
Make Your Bed to Keep a Clear Head!
Get into the habit of making your bed each day. Doing so can help you keep other areas of your room organized as part of your routine. Unfortunately, the rest of your room won’t magically organize itself just because you made your bed, so read on if you need a little help getting started in these other areas.
- Stomp out closet clutter with an over-the-door shoe organizer – missing shoes and shoe boxes piled all over the floor will be a thing of the past!
- If you seem to always have trouble fitting your clothes in your drawers or closet properly, try folding/hanging them vertically.
- Don’t try to store all of your clothes and accessories together in one space. Get some storage containers that will fit under your bed and use them for seasonal clothing, bags and other accessories.
Keep Your Kitchen Spotless with A Few Simple Steps
- If you use them together, keep them together, and keep them close. More specifically, don’t keep your cooking supplies in random places all over your kitchen. Make things easier on yourself when you’re making a meal and store them in a central location close to your stove and oven! The same goes for other kitchen supplies. For example, keep your coffee, coffee filters, tea bags, and mugs close to your coffee maker and tea kettle. Store things you don’t use as often out of your way.
- Set a new rule to help clear clutter – no more throwing anything and everything on the kitchen counter or table (or chairs). Create designated spaces for everyday items that are often left in the kitchen like mail, keys, wallets, jackets, and so on.
- Shelves, storage containers, and baskets can make a huge difference in your kitchen, too, and help you stay decluttered.
Love Your Living Room Again by Taking Inventory and Keeping all the Cords Under Control!
When it comes to organizing your living space, start by taking inventory of all the items you have in your living room. Then, use the same rule you used in your kitchen – if you use the items together, keep them together and keep them close to where you use them. So, for example, keep all of your movies and video games in a cabinet or basket close to your TV. Finally, try a cable organizer or cable zipper to eliminate that unsightly bunch of tangled cords (and the tripping hazard that comes with them)!